Sunday, March 23, 2008

Trimming the Investment Firms

Last week, the Times had a great article explaining the credit mess to the layperson:
Can’t Grasp Credit Crisis? Join the Club

Today it came out with another good article:
What Created This Monster?

I thought a hedge fund would collapse-- I didn't know an investment firm would.

I disagree with the first article that the crisis has been going on for 7 months (which would mean it started in September)-- I think it started in August with the first big dip in the market.

More news that the crisis is spreading into other areas of credit:
CIT Taps Credit Lines and Talks of Asset Sales

Time to short Visa?
Visa Has a $45 Billion Debut on Wall St.

The trend for IPOs these days is to start them off big, then bleed them [investors] dry:
The Blackstone Group

(Which I always confuse with Blackrock, Inc, which is on the good side of this equation.)

Reminds me of the end of the tech boom.

No comments: